From the first loose tooth or solo bike ride to game night at home, families know that everyday moments make life special.
Spending time in the kitchen together is a great way for families to make memories while making some sweet treats. Here are tips for getting everyone involved in the fun:
• Review the recipe and various prep steps with your helpers ahead of time so they know what to expect and what needs to be done.
• Before cooking, set up a safe work area by removing anything not needed in the recipe.
• Have everyone protect their clothing with aprons or old shirts with the sleeves rolled up.
• For novice bakers, demonstrate how to carefully measure ingredients, then have them double check before adding. This is a great time to reinforce math skills while having fun.
• Make damp sponges and cloths readily available to clean up as you go.
• Take turns putting your own unique spin on the recipe. If you’re baking cookies, let someone choose between adding chocolate chips, raisins or nuts. If you’re baking cupcakes, give your bakers the option to customize their creations with Pillsbury(r) Easy FrostTM No-Fuss Frosting. It’s a great way to foster creativity and have fun.
• Start a “keepsake recipe box” for all your bakers so they can keep track of favorite family recipes.
Because everyone loves an excuse to bake their favorite treats, here are some ways you can turn an ordinary day into an extraordinary one:
Rainy Day Brownie Pops – Celebrate a rainy day by whipping up a batch of Dark Chocolate Brownies according to box directions and let cool completely. Heat 1/4 cup chocolate frosting on high in microwave. Coarsely crumble brownies over frosting and gently mix together. Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Insert a lollipop stick into the center of each ball. Freeze for 30 minutes and then dip brownie pops into melted chocolate and your favorite sprinkles.
School Day Sandwich Cookies – Make the school day special by tucking a sandwich cookie into the lunch box. Start by making a batch of Pillsbury Chocolate Chip or Sugar Cookies according to package directions and let cool. Turn half the cookies bottom-side up. Using your favorite Pillsbury Easy Frost No-Fuss Frosting, point the five-star frosting tip straight down at the edge of a cookie. Press gently to form a star. Repeat stars to cover cookie. Top with another cookie, sprinkle-side up, to form a sandwich cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies.